I always travel with a pack of Clorox Disinfecting Wipes, Fresh Scent, To Go Pack!, 9 Ct.
I know you are thinking that I’m a germaphobe and paranoid but I once spent 5 days INSIDE a cruise ship cabin in the Caribbean because of some bug that I picked up on my flight down to the ship. This is well before anyone knew about Norwalk and SARS and before my “Bleach Wipe Strategy”.
If you are interested in reading more about cruise ships and getting sick on them check out this article: “Who cares if you get sick on a Cruise Ship? The CDC does.”
Now, I’m not saying that the nice people who clean for a living don’t do their job. I’m sure they do! It may be just for my personal piece of mind – but my mind is small and I don’t want to waste any of it on stress and/or sickness!
On the plane
(This also applies to train, bus, rental car etc).
- The first thing when I get on board is I wipe down anything with a bleach wipe that I will potentially touch during the flight – the arm rests, seat belt, tray table. Think about it… you are going to be there a long time sleeping, eating, drinking – living.
- Another thing, don’t put anything into that seat back pocket below the tray table that you will be taking BACK with you. Seriously, think about this – people put their used “whatever” in there! And I’m sorry SkyMall – I love your stuff, but I’m not reading that catalog that lives in there.
In your hotel room
(I do this each day I’m in the hotel)
- Again, wipe down everything with a bleach wipe that you may touch including the TV, remote control, clock radio, telephone, light switches.
- If the hotel is nice enough to have a glass in the bathroom (versus plastic cups wrapped in plastic). I wipe the glasses out with the bleach wipe and give it a thorough rinse. Have you seen this video on youtube?? Disgusting!
On the road in questionable restrooms
- If you do pick up some sort of gastrointestinal bug and you end up in some sketchy gas station bathroom with no toilet seat protectors. You’ll be thanking your lucky stars that you have a pack of bleach wipes in your bag.
I should mention in case it isn’t obvious but don’t use the same wipe for all the surfaces, because you may just be spreading the germs around.
I’m sure you get my point from the examples above and I’m sure there are tons more uses.
I’d love to hear if you travel with Clorox Disinfecting Wipes, or if you have any more uses for bleach wipes…comment, share or link me up.