A scarf is such an easy multi-purpose accessory to have when it comes to dressing up a travel wardrobe. The problem I find is that sometimes the 2 tail ends of the scarf get in my way if I’m doing something really active!
Enter Chaos Multi Tubular Headwear.
I first discovered it while shopping in the hat department of my local sporting goods store. It was the packaging and the illustrations that caught my eye. The price was around $12CDN so I figured I would give one a try. Now, I don’t travel without it.
Yes, granted it’s just a tube – but it’s a really smart stretchy tube! I kind of think of it as a turtle neck without the turtle. I’ve become a real fan of the tube and I plan to buy a few other colours and patterns in the future to add to my collection.
Examples of Use
- You’re in Egypt visiting King Tut. Soak your Chaos Multi Tubular Headwear in some cool water and put it on as a headband or as a scarf. As the water evaporates, it will cool you down.
- You’re in Bangkok and you are about to go on a tuk tuk ride to Khao San Road. Wear the Chaos Multi as a mask to avoid breathing in the exhaust and pollution of the city.
- You’re about to rent a motorcycle in Cozumel and you aren’t quite sure about the cleanliness of the rental helmet they’ve provided. Wear the Chaos Multi Tubular “pirate style” as a barrier between you and the helmet and have some piece of mind.
- You’ve met a Prince with red hair and freckles in a London coffee shop and he’s invited you to dinner but all you packed were plain t-shirts. Wear the Chaos Multi as a plain neck scarf or as a wristband to “dress it up”.
The packaging shows 11 ways that you can wear it but sometimes – desperation creates innovation and in a pinch I’ve had to come up with a few more uses for the scarf.
- I was on a flight and I wanted to take a nap but I was wedged into the window seat of the plane and my eye mask wasn’t within reach. Voila, I pulled the scarf down over my eyes and my ears and I had instant eye mask and ear plugs. Not perfect but it did the trick.
- I’ve also used it in a pinch as a face cloth or as a napkin.
Chaos Multi Tubular Headwear Pros
- Perfect for hot or cold climates
- Packs small
- Easy care
- 100% polyester knit
- Dries quickly
- Really soft against your skin
- Unisex (depending on the colour)
Chaos Multi Tubular Headwear Cons
- Wish it had a bit more stretch. Either that or my head is slightly bigger than the norm. So, I’m not able to wear it comfortably in all 11 configurations that they’ve illustrated.
- Some of the patterns aren’t my cup of tea. I know that everyone has different tastes but I prefer more subtle patterns.
- Rumour has it that the fabric pills a lot over many washings. I haven’t had that happen as of yet