I’m sitting here getting a pedicure and I have a massage booked for this afternoon. Tomorrow, I’ll be on vacation in the Caribbean but today I’m skipping work and having a “me day”.
Why do I book an Extra Day off Before and After a Trip?
So I can start my vacation stress-free!
Let’s face it; travelling is stressful with all the preparation and running around to get EVERYTHING completed at work AND home before the alarm goes off for the ride to the airport.
If I can manage it, I always give myself one extra day before and after the trip. I have a unique advantage that I am self-employed and have control of my schedule but that one extra day before a trip helps me get everything done so that I can truly relax on my vacation.
Tasks for your Extra Day Off Before A Trip
- Last minute packing, shopping, appointments.
- Bring pets to the sitter.
- Last minute pampering such as a pedicure, hair cut.
- Clean the house.
- Cook a “welcome home” meal and pop it in the freezer.
- Banking / money exchange.
- Finish off or delegate any work projects LINK
Tasks for your Extra Day Off After a Trip
- Pick up your fur babies from the sitter.
- Do the Laundry.
- Shop for groceries.
- Sort through photos for developing.
- Take the time to adjust to the time change.
- Catch up on emails, mail.
Having that extra day off after a trip lets me extend that vacation feeling. I can take it easy and complete any post-vacation tasks in a relaxed manner. I’m not flying home late at night worrying that I have to wake up in a few short hours to be at my desk ready to work and then stress further that a pile of laundry will be waiting for me back at home.
Here are some Tips for a Working (and NOT Working) Vacation