Tea for two, but also tea for travel!
If you know me, you know that I’m a huge tea lover, and the one thing I always travel with is tea bags. Even when I’m out and about around my hometown, I always have some of my favourite tea bags in my purse. Why do I do this? Tea has always been an immediate comfort for me, a way to unwind and relax. So when I have my tea bags on hand, I can feel the comforts of home in the farthest (or nearest) reaches of the world.
Read the article Travel Supplies to Bring from Kitchen to Suitcase to see what else I travel with.
Benefits of Tea
According to Penn Medicine, “Numerous studies have shown that a variety of teas may boost your immune system, fight off inflammation, and even ward off cancer and heart disease. While some brews provide more health advantages than others, there’s plenty of evidence that regularly drinking tea can have a lasting impact on your wellness.”
I received a press release recently from the Bigelow Tea Company and media samples from their Bigelow Benefits Tea and Botanicals Cold Water Infusion blends.
So, put that kettle on, settle down for a cuppa tea, and keep reading.
About Bigelow Tea Company
The Bigelow Tea Company is family-owned and based in Fairfield, Connecticut. Originally only a one-product specialty tea company (with its infamous “Constant Comment,”® black tea), it is now into its third generation and has grown into a national tea leader. Producing ~2 billion tea bags per year, the company has over 150 flavours of tea available nationwide, including signature teas, seasonal teas, wellness, organic, and immune support teas (all of which contain ingredients that provide functional benefits as well as Botanicals Cold Water Infusions). Bigelow Tea Company is also devoted to corporate social responsibility—meaning they are a Certified B Corporation, consistently pursuing ways to create a positive social and environmental impact. One aspect of the certification is maintaining Zero Waste to Landfill operations, meaning the company diverts 93.5% of its solid waste from landfills.
Additionally, as you shop on their website, if you’re unsure how long to let a particular tea steep, under the menu of each tea, there are kinds of tea recipes instructing you how to make the perfect cup. Also, if you’re into loose-leaf tea, Bigelow has a couple listed on their website.
Bigelow Benefits THROAT DEFENSE Ginger Honey Lemon Herbal Tea
THROAT DEFENSE is a caffeine-free, non-GMO project-verified, throat-calming tea featuring immune-support ingredients, including spicy ginger and bright lemon with the soothing sweet flavour of honey. In each cup, find a delicious blend of sweet honey and lemon combined with licorice root and marshmallow root, long known for their ability to help provide soothing comfort.
“Over the past few years, we’ve seen a tremendous demand and expansion for products that support a healthy lifestyle,” says Cindi Bigelow, president and CEO of third-generation family-owned Bigelow Tea. “With new Bigelow Benefits THROAT DEFENSE Ginger Honey Lemon, we created, as a wellness solution for every day, a soothing cup of herbal tea that features the sweet flavour of honey, superfood ginger plus essential ingredient lemon, and other familiar everyday herbs and ingredients, a perfect addition to our masterfully blended range of Bigelow Benefits wellness teas. Healthy never tasted so good!”
Featuring all-natural green, black and herbal teas with herbs, flowers and fruits, each ingredient in the Bigelow Benefits range of teas is selected to provide specific natural good-for-you benefits that help support each tea drinker’s well-being.
This range makes it easy to find the best blend for your ailment. For example, if your stomach is rocking and rolling, you don’t need to guess (or remember) that ginger and peppermint will calm your stomach – you just need to look for the “Calm Stomach” on the tea bag’s label.
Along with their new THROAT DEFENCE, Bigelow Tea sent us a few samples to try out, each a great contender for a travel tea:
Benefits STAY WELL (Lemon & Echinacea Herbal Tea) Authentic Echinacea and crisp lemon flavour with a smooth, relaxing herbal finish.
Benefits STRESS-FREE (Rose & Mint Herbal Tea) Sweet floral notes combined with a slight fruity tang, all cooled with a hint of delicious peppermint.
Benefits SLEEP (Chamomile & Lavender Herbal Tea) A calming, full-bodied floral lavender flavour with a sweet chamomile finish.
Benefits CALM STOMACH (Ginger & Peach Herbal Tea) A blend of spicy ginger, soothing peppermint finish and sweet peach. (My favourite)
Benefits REFRESH (Turmeric Chili Matcha Green Tea) A balanced green tea and matcha paired with earthy turmeric and a mild peppery kick.
Other teas in the Bigelow Benefits line include
Benefits RADIATE BEAUTY (Blueberry & Aloe Herbal Tea), A smooth and delicious fruity flavour with blueberry sweetness and subtle aloe notes.
Benefits FOCUS (Moringa & Black Tea) A bold black tea with earthy notes and moringa, ashwagandha Root, and turmeric root
Benefits BALANCE (Cinnamon & Blackberry Herbal Tea) Sweet and spicy cinnamon top notes with a smooth, balanced sweet, and tart finish
Benefits LEAN AND FIT (Citrus & Oolong Tea) A robust oolong with a combination of citrus notes and smoky tea features Yerba Mate, Parsley and Red Clove.
- Wellness Tea: This tea set includes a mix of caffeinated and caffeine-free herbal tea options includes Stay Well, Sleep, Calm Stomach, Refresh, Balance or either Radiate Beauty or Stress Free tea blends
- Individually wrapped in foil pouches for peak flavour, freshness and aroma to enjoy everywhere you go!
- Gluten-free, calorie-free, and Kosher Parve
- Try Every Flavor: There's a tea for the morning, noon, and nighttime relaxation.
- Blended and Packaged in the USA
Travelling with tea bags is easy. They are super portable, dry, and lightweight; you can get boiling water anywhere!
PRO TRAVEL TIP: I prefer individually wrapped tea bags for convenience. However, you can always grab a handful of tea bags and put them in a resealable bag. Just make sure you label the bag unless surprises are more your cup of tea.
Most hotels have a coffee maker or microwave in your room, but we prefer to travel with our own collapsible kettle. These kettles are a game-changer because they flatten to pack smaller, auto-shutoff, and boil enough water for two cups of tea.
I can’t recommend them enough because, trust me, you’ll use and love them.
- Safe Food Grade Protective: Made of safe food grade protective material PBA free. Heating plate and kettle lid is made of 304 stainless steel.
- Ultrathin Design: Folded size: 170*139*132 MM; Unfolded size: 149*139*50 MM, comes with zipper foldable storage bag: 6.5*8CM.
- One Button Design: Super easy to operate, just press the button, then water will be boiled in 3-5 minutes, Once the temperature below 75 degree, water will be self-heated.
- Detachable Power Cord and Handle: You can separate power cord and handle from kettle body, more convenient to store and more unimpeded to pour water.
- Dual Voltage Optional: 110V/220V dual voltage can be use all over the world, you can change it at the bottom of the kettle. Please adjust Voltage to 110V before use in US.
Bigelow Tea Botanicals Cold Water Infusion
According to the Mayo Clinic, “Water is your body’s principal chemical component and makes up about 50% to 70% of your body weight. Your body depends on water to survive.”
The article states, “The U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine determined that an adequate daily fluid intake is
About 15.5 cups (3.7 litres) of fluids a day for men.
About 11.5 cups (2.7 litres) of fluids a day for women.
These recommendations cover fluids from water, other beverages and food. About 20% of daily fluid intake usually comes from food and the rest from drinks.”
My problem has always been that I’m not too fond of the taste of plain water, so I add things such as fruit, cucumber, and mint to my water when I’m at home. When travelling, I need convenience and add Gatorade powder, Nuun Active Hydration electrolyte drink tabs, and my new favourite, Liquid I.V Hydration Multiplier, to my water. In certain cities, the water can taste musty or super chlorinated; adding powder or tablets to my water masks the taste, and I’m good to go.
The Bigelow Tea Company has a line of Bigelow Botanicals Cold Water Infusion Tea Bags, offering a healthy, convenient alternative to sugary drinks with zero calories, no caffeine, and no artificial anything. Carefully crafted with beautiful ingredients, they slowly create a lightly infused botanical water. Cold water infusion tea bags are different from iced tea, made by steeping tea bags in hot water and then letting it cool. Bigelow Botanicals creates a gentle herbal infusion using real fruit and herbs steeped in cold water to extract each blend’s light and delicious flavour.
Cold water infusion tea bags are a relatively new addition to my “tea for travel” carry-on kit. Still, I love the convenience of opening an individually wrapped tea bag, tossing it into my water and hitting the road.
The convenience of only adding cold water allows you to easily incorporate Bigelow Botanicals Cold Water Infusions into your daily routine to help reach your water intake – whether it’s simply enjoying at home, at work, or exercising, each individually wrapped bag ensures freshness and allows for portability to enjoy by the glass or take it on-the-go. Drinking more water has never been so easy or delicious!
Read about my favourite water bottles for travel
- Hydro Flask Review. Home-Life and Travel-Life Hydration
- Travel Tip – Reusable Water Bottle – Would you like some germs with your water?
- Seven Favourite Items I Pack in my Suitcase
We tried 2 of their new Bigelow Botanicals Cold Water Infusions in our water:
- Light And Refreshing: Includes 1 box each of Cranberry Lime Honeysuckle, Watermelon Cucumber Mint, Blackberry Raspberry Hibiscus, Strawberry Lemon Orange Blossom, Blueberry Citrus Basil and Peach Lemonade Acai
- Cold Water Infusion: A new way to love your water; Watch these beautiful botanicals slowly create light and refreshing infused water; Simple to make herbal infusion; Gluten -free, zero calories, no artificial anything and caffeine free
- Hand Crafted Recipes: Each Ingredient has been carefully selected by the Bigelow Family to deliver an uncompromised quality tea experience
- Easy and Convenient: Individually wrapped in foil pouches for peak flavor, freshness and aroma to enjoy everywhere you go; Gluten -free, zero calories, no artificial anything and caffeine free
- Uncompromised Quality: Since 1945, Family owned Bigelow Tea has been a leader in premium tea and proud to be a Certified B Corporation, meeting the highest verified standards of social and environmental performance, transparency and accountability
Botanicals Cold Water Infusion Blood Orange Tangerine
– Sweet blood orange fruit is blended with tangy tangerine, creating a bright citrus infusion with a slightly sweet berry taste.
Botanicals Cold Water Infusion Pineapple Coconut Mango
– Featuring sweet, delicate pineapple with creamy coconut and a hint of mango. This blend was my favourite of the two.
Other blends include
Peach Lemonade Acai – with a slightly tart lemon flavour and a hint of sweet peach.
Watermelon Cucumber Mint – delicate watermelon, refreshing cucumber, and a touch of fresh mint.
Blackberry Raspberry Hibiscus – sweet blackberries and raspberries delightfully blended with refreshing fruity hibiscus.
Cranberry Lime Honeysuckle – refreshing tart cranberries, a small splash of lime, with a touch of sweet honeysuckle.
Blueberry Citrus Basil – the taste of freshly picked blueberries, refreshing citrus, and a light basil finish.
Strawberry Lemon Orange Blossom – a refreshing burst of juicy strawberry followed by tart lemon and the essence of orange blossom.
“We know that staying hydrated is essential for overall health and well-being,” says Cindi Bigelow, president and CEO of family-owned Bigelow Tea. “In support of our consumers who are focusing on living a healthy lifestyle, we created these two new beautiful cold water infusion flavours to enhance each wellness routine. These exceptional flavours are truly a new way to love your water and help each of us reach our daily hydration goals.”
I love Bigelow Tea for travel because their wide variety of teas ensures there is a tea for every situation, whether at home or on the go. No longer should you have to take a risk and search (and often inevitably settle) for an average tea from the hotel or restaurant. Pack a few of your favourite Bigelow teas in your bag, and you’re ready to have a good cup of tea no matter which spot in the world you are in—because is there anything better than a familiar cup of tea to ground you in an unfamiliar place?
What tea flavour do you travel with? Do any Bigelow ones catch your eye that you want to try? Let me know!
I was provided with Bigelow Tea for review purposes. All opinions are entirely my own.