Orlando Florida is known for its theme parks. Disney, Universal, Seaworld, and Legoland to name but a few… but who would have thought that you can have just as much of a theme park experience from your very hotel! When we were in Orlando in December we had the opportunity to stay at the Gaylord Palms Resort and Convention Centre and had a great experience. There are 4 Gaylord Resorts in the United States and each is uniquely themed to the city/state it’s located in making each an attraction worthy of a stay. The Gaylord Palms has decorations and displays that represent Key West and the Everglades.
- Gaylord Opryland in Nashville, Tennessee
- Gaylord Texan in Dallas (Grapevine), Texas
- Gaylord National in Washington DC (Maryland)
- Gaylord Palms in Orlando (Kissimmee), Florida
- Gaylord Rockies in Aurora, CO (under construction)
The resort itself is gorgeous – lush landscaped gardens, beautiful seasonal decorations, restaurants, bars, cafes, shopping and they even have alligators on site.
We found it lovely just walking through the gardens in the evening – very calm and very relaxed with few people out and about.
At the time we were there the resort was having their annual Christmas festival. Each year there is a different theme – this year being ICE. There were free evening concerts in the centre of the main resort and within the convention centre they had an ice skating show, indoor snow tubing (yup you read that right!) and games for the kids as well as a Christmas market. You are free to walk through the festival area but the show and activities themselves are an additional fee – dress warm it’s chilly!
The resort is so massive (63 acres) that even though front desk staff gave us a map we got lost in the parking lot. There are very few directional signs in the parking lot and we ended up parking at the wrong wing of the complex. As a result we had to walk with our luggage all the way around the resort to get to our room, which was a bit of a pain. But, once we finally got to our room and opened the door — our jaws dropped.
Simply beautiful — bright, modern, tastefully decorated, very comfortable and luxurious. Truly the room was massive with lots of closet space and a cute little balcony so that we could sit outside overlooking the atrium.
Gaylord Palms Resort and Convention Center Pros
- Our room was a massive 400+ square feet
- Ceiling Fan
- Very comfortable bed and linens
- Refrigerator, coffee maker, in-room safe
- Iron / ironing board
- Complimentary bottled water
- Desk had lots of electrical outlets
- Separate double-sink area from the rest of the bathroom
- Very quiet air conditioner/heating system
- Very quiet at night
- Lots to see and do within the resort
- 8 dining choices, lots of shopping available
- Spa / fitness facilities
Gaylord Palms Resort and Convention Center Cons
- Slightly noisy during the day with the hotel room surrounding the atrium
- TV was a bit too small for the size of the room making it a bit far to see from the bed for these old eyes
- Parking lot is very confusing as there aren’t clear signs to show what section of the resort you are parking at in relation to where your room is located
- Very easy to get lost due to the size of the resort in general
- Parking Fee is charged
We only stayed here one night, and because we had such a full schedule with all the various theme parks and activities within Orlando we didn’t get to fully experience everything that’s available at the resort itself such as the gym, spa and exterior grounds. On our next trip to Gaylord Palms Resort and Convention Centre we plan on saving at least one full day to lounge by the beautiful pool.
Gaylord Palms Resort and Convention Center Orlando Florida
6000 W Osceola Pkwy, Kissimmee, FL 34746, United States
Travel assistance was provided by Gaylord Palms Resort and Convention Center. As with all our reviews – all opinions are our own.
Have you stayed at the Gaylord Palms Resort and Convention Center? What did you think about it?
For more Orlando/Kissimmee, check out:
Soaring at iFly Indoor Skydiving Orlando
Medieval Times Dinner & Tournament – Orlando, Florida
Airboat Tours in St. Cloud, Florida
Universal Orlando Resort Theme Parks, Volcano Bay and CityWalk