Whenever we are on a road trip and we start to run out of good radio stations, or we are tired of listening to our travel music playlist, we turn to stand-up comedy to keep us entertained and awake.
Larry the Cable Guy, George Carlin, George Lopez and Russell Peters, etc. They all offer hours of entertainment and laughs as we are driving along the highway.
One of our favourite comedians is Jeff Foxworthy especially when he does his “You know you’re a redneck when…” routine.
In that vein, I’ve come up with my list…I’m not a comedian, so don’t expect these to be as funny as Jeff’s (tee hee).
You know you are a traveller when:
- You own an unlocked cell phone, sim card holder and sim cards from around the world
- You have your mail sent to a family member or friend to hold for you
- You have a stash of foreign currency
- You keep your toiletry bag packed and ready to go at all times
- You know how to say “hello”, “please” and “thank you” in at least three foreign languages
- You know what YYZ, AUH and BLA mean
- You worry that you are going to run out of pages in your passport before it expires
- You remember why you needed your last vaccination
- You know the difference between rolling, bundling and folding and which is best
- You wear slip-on shoes whenever you go to the airport out of habit
- You only buy clothes that you can wash in a hotel sink
- You give little soaps and shampoos for gifts
- You keep an old wallet stuffed with fake money in your pocket/purse in case of muggings
- Your cell phone is full of geography, language and travel apps
- You are either on a trip or in the midst of planning a trip
- You have seen more movies on planes than in theatres
- You can’t answer the question “where is home”
- You had to insert blank pages into your passport
- You keep your toiletry bag stocked at all times
- You carry toilet paper with you out of habit
- You keep a box/drawer full of maps for different parts of the world just in case
- You have Metro cards with money still on them from different parts of the world tucked away for the next time you are in town
- You get heart palpitations walking by the travel magazine/book section in the bookstore
- You have a “system” of steps that you follow religiously each time you go through airport security
- You are “this close” to your next free rewards ticket
- You take those surveys on Facebook that everyone shares: which city are you? Which city should you live in? How many countries have you been to?
- You often start sentences with “when I was in…”
- You have travel friends on social media that you’ve never met in person, yet you refer to them in daily conversation
So, how many of these traits can you say you are guilty of?
Do you have any more to add to this list?
Looking for more funny travel stories?
– Travelling – It’s the Characters You Meet